Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Today Show: Pampers Offers Rowley-Designed Diaper

Ummmm....I'm all for nice looking or pretty diapers, but really? Instead of the Today show reporting on "designer" diapers, like the Huggies jeans diapers and the new diapers coming out from Pampers that were designed by Cynthia Rowley, why don't they report on something  little more eco-friendly?

How about we talk about cloth diapers and how they reduce waste?

I think that it is extremely important for news media outlets to start reporting on other ways to live "green" besides the ones that have become more of a fad than a way of living. Not that the "popular" green decisions are bad, they're not, it's just that we should start exposing other ways to make our lives more eco-friendly.

I have just started to cloth diaper, I did it not only for the "green" aspect of it, but also because I wanted to do something in my household that reduced my carbon footprint. I didn't do it because it's popular (which it is, you should see all the amazing cloth diapering online communities out there!). This was my decision, not one made because people said I should do it.

On that note, I'm not saying that everyone should cloth diaper, it have to be a personal choice. What I am saying is that everyone needs to be educated in the different ways you can diaper your child, so that they can make an informed choice. All most people know are either disposable diapers and the old school diapers- prefolds and plastic pants.

Cloth diapers have come a long, long way since 20 or so years ago. They have become so much more user friendly, they wash much more easily, and they are so much cuter than disposables- designer or not.

I understand Pampers need to compete with Huggies in the designer diaper area, and I in no way, expect either of these brands to go and say they want everyone to switch to cloth diapers, I expect the media outlets to present all options open to parents, from disposable diapers to hybrids to prefolds and covers to pocket diapers...It's only fair

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't even thought about that but you're right, the media does not pay attention to cloth diapering. You'd think that would be at the top of the "green" list with all the little people running around. But I'll be glad when this whole designer pamper phase ends, I don't have little ones but really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I learned something from your post. I honestly didn't know that cloth diapers had changed in any way. Thanks for the education... I'll be sure to pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, you're welcome! I honestly didn't know how much cloth diapers had changed until I started looking into it a few weeks ago when we made the decision to cloth diaper my son :-)

    Daenel- Exactly! I found it odd too once I started to cloth diaper my son, In a world where we're all told to "go green" no one ever talks about the diaper aspect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't cloth diaper. I use regular old run of the mill Swadders for my daughter because I've honestly always thought they were the best of all the diapers I've tried.

    I don't really care what the diaper looks like because my kids wear pants so having a faux jean diaper does nothing for me and I'm sure they'll use the cool look to charge more which is a big turn off. Although if you haven't see that new Huggies commercial, you should because it's funny.

    Visiting from Mama Kat's.

    Michelle
    http://pietrosmomma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like swaddlers the best out of all the brands, we used disposables for my the first 9 weeks of my sons life until we learned about cloth diapers. It definitely is an excuse to charge more. From what I've heard is that a box of the designer pampers runs $15.00 for 23 of them, which is kind of ridiculous!
    The jeans diaper commercial is hysterical, if we were still in disposables, I probably would have bought those! And I agree with you, why put a disposable with prints on that is going to be covered by pants? Makes no sense!

    ReplyDelete